PDA

View Full Version : Leonard Nimoy, Spock of ‘Star Trek,’ Dies at 83

Kimbo
02-27-2015, 06:20 PM
Leonard Nimoy, the sonorous, gaunt-faced actor who won a worshipful global following as Mr. Spock, the resolutely logical human-alien first officer of the Starship Enterprise in the television and movie juggernaut “Star Trek,” died on Friday morning at his home in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles. He was 83.
His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed his death, saying the cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Mr. Nimoy announced that he had the disease last year, attributing it to years of smoking, a habit he had given up three decades earlier. He had been hospitalized earlier in the week.

His artistic pursuits — poetry, photography and music in addition to acting — ranged far beyond the United Federation of Planets, but it was as Mr. Spock that Mr. Nimoy became a folk hero, bringing to life one of the most indelible characters of the last half century: a cerebral, unflappable, pointy-eared Vulcan with a signature salute and blessing: “Live long and prosper” (from the Vulcan “Dif-tor heh smusma”).

Kimbo
02-27-2015, 06:30 PM
Rest in Peace

BIO
02-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Rest in peace spock. Guy was a great actor and will be missed.

dara
02-27-2015, 06:51 PM
I'm bummed, but the character Spock still goes on. Other than Mission Impossible, I can't think of Nimoy in any other role, but I don't think he minded being type-casted, unlike some of the other characters in the original series.

Marley
02-27-2015, 06:53 PM
live long and prosperous

K00lKatT
02-27-2015, 06:57 PM
R.I.P. "Spock"

crazed 9.6
02-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Nimoy was the only one that starred in the original StarTrek Pilot episode and also in the series. No one else was in both.

His first autobiography was titled... "I am NOT Spock"
His second autobiography was titled.... "I AM Spock"

RIP Mr Nimoy

dara
02-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Nimoy was the only one that starred in the original StarTrek Pilot episode and also in the series. No one else was in both.

His first autobiography was titled... "I am NOT Spock"
His second autobiography was titled.... "I AM Spock"

RIP Mr Nimoy

That very first version of Spock in the pilot was unbearable. I'm glad that Nimoy was able to change that mess to what we know as Spock.

Kimbo
02-27-2015, 08:24 PM
Nimoy’s longtime Star Trek co-star and convention buddy William Shatner posted a photo of the two of them, saying, “I loved him like a brother. We will all miss his humor, his talent, and his capacity to love.”

Fellow Star Trek original cast member George Takei shared on facebook, “Today, the world lost a great man, and I lost a great friend. We return you now to the stars, Leonard. You taught us to ‘Live Long And Prosper,’ and you indeed did, friend. I shall miss you in so many, many ways.”

Zachary Quinto, who plays Spock in the J.J. Abrams reboot series of Star Trek, shared his grief on Instagram, saying, “my heart is broken. i love you profoundly my dear friend. and i will miss you everyday. may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.”

Wil Wheaton, who costarred on Star Trek: The Next Generation, offered his tribute online, writing, “We stood on your shoulders, and wouldn’t have had a galaxy to explore if you hadn’t been there, first. Thank you, Leonard, Rest in peace.”

Filmmaker Kevin Smith shared a quote from the 1982 Star Trek movie, The Wrath of Khan: "'Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most… Human.' Farewell, Leonard Nimoy - Actor, Director, Pop culture icon."

salbey914
02-27-2015, 09:49 PM
my fav character... RIP Mr.Nimoy

Yosemite Sam
02-27-2015, 11:49 PM
RIP mr spock

Kimbo
02-28-2015, 12:04 AM
I also remember growing up in the 70's watching "In search of" his voice was very unique.

alphablondy
02-28-2015, 12:28 AM
now Spock is shaking hands with the creator Gene Rodenberry