PDA

View Full Version : Vpn??

DFR619
12-19-2015, 12:45 AM
Hi

My question is about any VPN.... I need a little more understanding of how they work while used with IPTV..
I realize they are security for your computer but are we using them in IPTV to hide or make it look like we are in a different place or country??...if so how do you know which sever to use

Thanks for any help or point me to a thread and I will do the reading

Thanks

floder2
12-19-2015, 01:12 AM
I use one when watching baseball through MLB.TV so my home team is not Blacked out..........

Deadwood
12-21-2015, 04:52 AM
If I were going to watch something like the BBC or something that broadcasts from Britain, I'd choose my VPN server to connect to a server in England and once its connected, I would try watching whatever British program that was on. If you want to watch something that is in the U.S. best to connect to a US server, same would apply for Canada or China but the further a server is from where you actually are, the lag time and throughput will decrease to the point of buffering, freezing and other issues that relate to distance, time, etcetera/

DFR619
12-23-2015, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys

DFR619
02-10-2016, 03:02 PM
I will just continue with this thread ... Laser915 gave me the ok to mention a specific name
So "Fast Secure VPN"seems to be working great for me ...doesn't disconnect ....no buffering... works great i think

So what opinions do any have ... do they log me or anything else I should know before I sign up for the year
IPvanish wouldn't work on my box...cust service said they where for smartphones

I just want something that doesn't show the IPTV thing so I don't get in trouble in the future

Kodi 16.3 android box and stalker client nfps

Kimbo
02-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Awesome, so where did you find it?amazon? how much a month?

DFR619
02-10-2016, 06:28 PM
I am not endorsing it completely yet trying to find out if it does what it s suppose to do... just did a search of VPN for android I think it was the google store...I tried a couple one of them one didn't let me get 5 mins into the trial said I was over my daily bandwidth... that one got deleted.... this one says $2.50 a month or $16.70 year... Sounds to good actually ....

Since I have NO idea what I am talking about with this other than say it hasn't had to reconnect and No buffering to speak of...for a couple of days.

I checked my IP with and without... it changed so i guess its doing its job
Just looking for more info on what everybody recommends or thinks about it or any VPN

Alucard
02-10-2016, 06:39 PM
I use PUREVPN and it has not given me any trouble for the months I have had it and I get 20+meg down with them. I use a separate VPN Router for all my traffic that I want to go over VPN such as stuff i want to watch from the UK. I configured my main router to send the IP traffic that I want to go through the VPN to send that traffic to the VPN router, everything else goes out through my regular internet connection.

DFR619
02-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Thanks Alucard i will look into that....
Will take some research for me to do that and I only have 1 router at the moment

Alucard
02-11-2016, 01:12 PM
Thanks Alucard i will look into that....
Will take some research for me to do that and I only have 1 router at the moment

If you need another router, go to your local goodwill or 2nd hand computer store and find yourself a Liksys router that you can load DD-WRT on. Probably about 20 bucks.

DFR619
02-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Thank you

Starting to figure out a little bit of the Security for the router... I wont be doing the torent thing or P2P anyway which if I am reading right is where you can get into trouble ... most of this is over my head but will keep searching about it...
And naturally the router that I do have seems not to be compliant with DD-WRT

Ummm Not trying to hi-jack my own thread but what happens to your system (my tv box is basically a computer that does everything) if you DON'T use a router for your box do you loose security????...I am not concerned about someone stealing my wi-fi because I live in the country
Anyway I'll post now before I head down another path LOL and thanks again 4your time

Deadwood
03-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Initially, I was using HideMyAss or HMA but I found the service to be overloaded on several servers and speed became an issue. I went to Private Internet Access and found some servers much faster than others even though some of the faster ones are further away. I won't be renewing with PIA because they don't or won't provide a download link for Android devices from their own website. You guessed it, I have to go to Google Playstore and download it and of course that means you have to sign in and link your email address before you can download. Its this hoop jumping after paying for the service that I don't like even though the App is free to download you need Google to install it.
Needless to say, even that doesn't work with AVOV Vixo 2 because Google Playstore isn't Mickeyhop and there's no installer with Mickeyhop and Google won't load the app into Mickeyhop even though there are links with Mickeyhop. So around and round one goes and where it stops, leaves you with a VPN service you can't install.
I will be going with a VPN service has all downloads from its website, no more buying the service and going to a 3rd party app store to download and install it.
Strongly advised you check before you buy a VPN service unless you intend to load it on your router which connects everything on your network to the VPN server.

Alucard
03-15-2016, 08:30 PM
Initially, I was using HideMyAss or HMA but I found the service to be overloaded on several servers and speed became an issue. I went to Private Internet Access and found some servers much faster than others even though some of the faster ones are further away. I won't be renewing with PIA because they don't or won't provide a download link for Android devices from their own website. You guessed it, I have to go to Google Playstore and download it and of course that means you have to sign in and link your email address before you can download. Its this hoop jumping after paying for the service that I don't like even though the App is free to download you need Google to install it.
Needless to say, even that doesn't work with AVOV Vixo 2 because Google Playstore isn't Mickeyhop and there's no installer with Mickeyhop and Google won't load the app into Mickeyhop even though there are links with Mickeyhop. So around and round one goes and where it stops, leaves you with a VPN service you can't install.
I will be going with a VPN service has all downloads from its website, no more buying the service and going to a 3rd party app store to download and install it.
Strongly advised you check before you buy a VPN service unless you intend to load it on your router which connects everything on your network to the VPN server.

I think one of the issues you are having is that you do not understand on how to set it up properly. I never use VPN software on any of my devices. You setup two routers, one is your normal internet router and the 2nd is your VPN router. Then you setup the devices that you want to go through the VPN router to use that as their default gateway. If you don't want everything on your device to go through the VPN router, then you can setup routing on your Internet Router to reroute certain IP through the VPN router and this is what I do.

cooltech
03-21-2016, 11:35 PM
hi alucard, i did the similar setup, the only problem is constant freezing while connected to the vpn vs not using it at all, maybe to far of a server or crap service provider i guess

Alucard
03-23-2016, 04:10 PM
hi alucard, i did the similar setup, the only problem is constant freezing while connected to the vpn vs not using it at all, maybe to far of a server or crap service provider i guess

Not sure who you are using but I have had no issues with PureVPN

jijag
03-23-2016, 04:21 PM
which vpn have app for andriod boxs to use direct on box ...?

jlatorre1
03-29-2016, 04:12 PM
If you looking for a good an inexpensive VPN go to Stack Social....Lifetime membership to Pure VPN is $65.00....It works great and can access up to 5 components.

jlatorre1
03-29-2016, 04:14 PM
which vpn have app for andriod boxs to use direct on box ...?

Pure VPN has a an app for Android.