PDA

View Full Version : New to Mag254

AeonFlux
02-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Just ordered my Mag254. I have been around FTA for a lot of years, but this is like starting over.

I am read - read - read but a little confused. When new box arrives, begin setup per the top sticky, but goto update software and make sure the latest software is on it or update if it is not. Do I understand this correctly? Then put portal info on? Or put all the info on it, then upgrade the software?

Do I understand that the Stalker Software comes on the Mag254 or do I have to install that? The Mag254 site is far from clear on that point.

Now trying to understand -- the IPTV is currently free? I bought Rockets in November. Will I be good to go or do I have more to pay for? I am not griping. I am only asking. If there is a post on this, please point me.

How about other services? Maybe I am getting ahead of myself. I prolly need to read some more. Suggested reading for newbies?

Thank you all for your help. I think I am now headed down the right path.

DarkSide
02-21-2015, 02:46 PM
after you get your box, you can update the software if it needs it... then follow the the sticky to get up and going.. nothing else needs to be loaded on the mag.. heres a post about the rockets you bought in nov

http://iptvtalk.net/showthread.php?758-IPTV-New-5-Live-Channels

BIO
02-21-2015, 02:47 PM
The order in which ou update doesn't really matter, I have the update instructions in post 2 because I forgot that when I did the guide. I updated the guide a little more yesterday too, after a reset of my stb. I am planning on adding to make sure auto update is enabled but haven't got around to it yet.

Updates come from infomir through the internet, and with auto update enabled it should notify you of updates in the future.

Te iptv service is free right now, to setup and test the server. Later on when the server is tuned the free access will be shut down. Your donation code wll need to be updated for iptv access at that point and the cost will most likely be less than $4 a month.

Other servers and services are not allowed here, so google if you feel you need to about that.

Dark beat me to it, thanks

K00lKatT
02-21-2015, 02:49 PM
you guys beat me, I was goin to get the link...lol

K00lKatT
02-21-2015, 02:54 PM
I would like to add that Aeon doesn't need the stalker firmware as this is used by the server, you just need the image and bootstrap updates, thks

BIO
02-21-2015, 03:01 PM
And I will add that the guide is now updated to avoid confusion. I point you to the update software menu in the guide now so you can update from there when installing :)

Link Kool? what link you using as an excuse. Gonna have to get another cup of coffee in you to keep up :roflmao:

K00lKatT
02-21-2015, 03:06 PM
The link Tinie posted about the pricing structure and who is and isn't covered....lol

AeonFlux
02-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Thanks all for your advice.

I am sure a lot of this will be cleared up the day I get the box and start using it.

Not actually asking about other servers like this one. I would like to watch things like History Channel streamed shows, back shows. Wife would really like some of her PBS stuff. Streamed news or sports. Stuff like that. Not "other servers" in the context that you speak. I do understand that discussion is not allowed here. I was more thinking along the lines of good chit that we could watch for free. There has to be a ton of that out there if you only know where to look.

How many portals does the box support? That might limit the number of other free/open channels we can get.

BIO
02-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Yeah, there are streams available through m3u files for stuff like that. I personally use mag for iptv and an androud box loaded with xbmc/kodi to watch shows and such.

crazed 9.6
02-21-2015, 09:52 PM
I have maybe twenty playlists on one USB drive and they work at any time I want them to. I don't load them directly onto the box, I just run them straight from the USB stick (they are simple on-line URL addresses, is all an m3u file consists of).
You could load the m3u files onto receiver too, but I never have.

There are many working m3u playlists here at iptvTalk and they are spread out in 3 forums mostly.

Mega3000SHD TVi forum
Mag254 forum
Avov forum

Some PBS channels were once available thru m3u files but has since been a-wall :(

K00lKatT
02-21-2015, 10:29 PM
Once you get into it you'll prolly want a separate android box and iptv box..mygica and mag for me..

AeonFlux
02-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Maybe a dumb question, maybe not -- Kodi is available for Linux. Anyone put it on this box yet? That would be a real hoot.

BIO
02-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Maybe a dumb question, maybe not -- Kodi is available for Linux. Anyone put it on this box yet? That would be a real hoot.

It would be a real hoot for sure, plus posted all over the mag section if successful. No posts yet so don't think anyone has Kodi installed

K00lKatT
02-23-2015, 01:58 PM
I believe that the Linux available for Kodi is for HTPC's..don't know that it is available for boxes..