PDA

View Full Version : FUSE & Kodi

CyberDawg
11-08-2015, 02:59 AM
I finally had a chance to check out my Fuse and spent 4 hours today checking it out the and some of the features & settings. There is no manual in the box so everything is pretty much poke and hope unless you're familiar with AVOV & Android.

I couldn't figure out how to set the STB up for a hardwired connection so I just settled for the wireless connection until I could figure that part out for myself later.

I really wanted to see how Kodi worked on the Fuse. That was the main reason I purchased it. I see no real reason for paid TV services. Live TV, IMO, will be a thing of the past in a decade with the exception of major sporting events and other special programming.

I've been running XBMC on Windows Vista & 7 Home & Ultimate since version 10.1. Admittedly, just off and on testing until version 12 came out. After 12 came out I found myself using XBMC more and more, told all my friends and family about it and helped them 'cut the cord' so to speak.

The reason I'm giving all this background is because I've run into a problem today I've never seen. I clicked on Kodi on the left screen and selected v.15.2 but it only installed v.15.1 (no big deal). I didn't want the TVMC version because it is too bloated with things that I will never use.
After setting Kodi up on the Fuse and tweaking all my settings the way I always do during setup. I tried to play a movie in HD and only the top left quadrant of the screen had the video playing in it instead of a full screen. The video only filled up approximately 25% of the screen. I've heard reports of some of the AVOV products cutting some of the picture off during HD viewing. So I tried viewing a movie in SD with the same results.

At this point the only thing I can think to do is factory reset and try to start over unless someone has a better solution to this problem. Have any of the new Fuse owners set Kodi up yet? If so what has your experience been? BTW, I used the TVAddons installer tool to install all my repo's.

I've fooled around with an android tablet for the last couple months trying to get ready for the Fuse experience. That is the only Android exposure I've had up to this point.

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

CD

Farmer1
11-08-2015, 03:04 AM
for wired connection you have to disconnect all the wifi

Farmer1
11-08-2015, 03:21 AM
I haven't had a chance to set kodi up yet but it did only load as 15.1
tvadons is running Kodi 14.2 that seems to be working great here

CyberDawg
11-08-2015, 03:44 AM
I haven't had a chance to set kodi up yet but it did only load as 15.1
tvadons is running Kodi 14.2 that seems to be working great here

Yes, I know someone running the tvonline and it seems to be working fine too.

Farmer1
11-08-2015, 04:17 AM
just did a quick setup on kodi watching san andreas on genesis full screen and seems to be working great

CyberDawg
11-08-2015, 04:36 AM
thanks for checking farmer1, i guess i'll have to reset and try to start over.

Farmer1
11-08-2015, 05:03 AM
Good luck hope it works out better for you this time

CyberDawg
11-08-2015, 05:34 AM
just finished the factory reset and i have the exact same picture size. i've never seen anything like this.

I'm running straight wired now tho ;)

K00lKatT
11-08-2015, 05:53 AM
suggest you do some reading on the kodi site in ref to this prob...just a piece of info there as follows:

Important to mention is that this doesn’t apply to AMLogic devices with proper permissions as these will still use amcodec. Any other Android device that is not able to do “android surface rendering” has not implemented the standard Android MediaCodec API in the proper way. Sadly we have to take this route because the Android eco-system has become too big of a maze to support and we will only implement what we feel is the way forward, this means that we will only follow the official Android platform methods, and we will no longer implement any hacks or workarounds. If the device you have is not compatible, then we strongly advise that you ask your device manufacturer to properly implement these functions in the device’s firmware, it may be harsh but we as Team Kodi are not responsible for incomplete firmware created by these device manufacturers.

CyberDawg
11-08-2015, 06:10 AM
suggest you do some reading on the kodi site in ref to this prob...just a piece of info there as follows:

Important to mention is that this doesn’t apply to AMLogic devices with proper permissions as these will still use amcodec. Any other Android device that is not able to do “android surface rendering” has not implemented the standard Android MediaCodec API in the proper way. Sadly we have to take this route because the Android eco-system has become too big of a maze to support and we will only implement what we feel is the way forward, this means that we will only follow the official Android platform methods, and we will no longer implement any hacks or workarounds. If the device you have is not compatible, then we strongly advise that you ask your device manufacturer to properly implement these functions in the device’s firmware, it may be harsh but we as Team Kodi are not responsible for incomplete firmware created by these device manufacturers.

Not sure i fully understand, so farmer1's device works fine but mine doesn't. So, i'm SOL?

K00lKatT
11-08-2015, 06:19 AM
no, I certainly didn't say that, thks...do a little investigating and you will learn the reasons & causes for it...one of which is the version of kodi you are using

CyberDawg
11-08-2015, 06:31 AM
This time after the 15.0 release it became clear that for several devices using an Amlogic chipset there was a change in firmware that caused Kodi to not function properly and only show a zoomed in or only used part of the screen. Devices that came from manufacturers that had properly updated their firmware did not have this problem. However for some this never happened and caused all the problems you might have experienced. One method was to put special build firmware on the device which fixes the problem and Kodi would just work fine again. Sadly this is a quite technical process and could brick your device if not done properly. Luckily a community developer invested a lot of time in tracking down the problem and together with our main Android developer came to a solution for fixing this.

In short, we’ve solved the problems for the users that had the zoomed in or partial screen using Kodi in Android. As such we included these changes into the 15.2 build for every one to test and hopefully get their device working again.

yes, this is what i plucked from the site. and i see it appears my problem has been fixed in 15.2. which is what it says i'm downloading on the box but 15.1 is what we are really getting, the question still remains why would one box work and not another. they both came from the same manufacture.
I'm not trying to be arrogant with you KK, its just been a long week and day and i've been looking forward to sitting down with this box for months. not to mention the fact i received it on monday and just today had a chance to fool with it. i was expecting a much better performance from this box than what i'm getting. I've factory defaulted it again. i'm done for the evening. thank you for pointing that out to me KK. i'll start fresh tomorrow. ;)

K00lKatT
11-08-2015, 06:39 AM
no prob, Dawg...I know this issue has been reported to avov..I think Asft may have found a way around it but not sure...:)

profster
11-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Not sure i fully understand, so farmer1's device works fine but mine doesn't. So, i'm SOL?

I installed Kodi 15.1 and have the same problem with the picture size. It shows only in the top left corner of my screen. I also installed the TVMC version of Kodi 14.1 and it shows full screen.

4wheelin
11-08-2015, 01:44 PM
when you get small screen try clicking ok button ..

manfredz
11-08-2015, 02:19 PM
on my android devive (which I'm not using now or i'd know which), on an external keboard either the / or \ (forward slash or backslash) toggles between 1/4 screen and full screen. maybe will do trick for you too.

Alucard
11-08-2015, 03:31 PM
I am not familiar with the fuse, but does it force you to use their app store? This device does not allow you to side load apps?

K00lKatT
11-08-2015, 04:10 PM
incorrect, this is a hybrid, the best of both worlds...:)

Marley
11-08-2015, 04:57 PM
in setup go to display and load at 720p will give you full sreen size in kodi and they are working on it could even be kodi itself dont know

CyberDawg
11-09-2015, 02:33 AM
in setup go to display and load at 720p will give you full sreen size in kodi and they are working on it could even be kodi itself dont know

This seemed to do the trick. set display settings to 720p as advised and video is playing in full screen. the 2 movies i checked out looked like 16x9. hopefully i can find a movie with a true full screen to test further. so far, much better than last night.

i noticed tonight it said my download was 15.2 on the splash screen but the update checker ID'd the version as 15.1 and suggested an update...???

Also kodi froze tonight during ice films install, i deleted it and tried it again with the same results. had to go into get more to find it instead of going directly to eldorado's repo to install it as usual.

nada233
11-09-2015, 07:19 PM
yep having same issue as mentioned above I just got my fuse ,so still playing with it ,I can say that is a very nice system ,has a nice picture and more options unders the market,also found that the recall button doesnt work and neither does the info button and the yellow button that acts as a recall channel .

timezone12
11-09-2015, 07:58 PM
did you get your tuner with the box as well??
yep having same issue as mentioned above I just got my fuse ,so still playing with it ,I can say that is a very nice system ,has a nice picture and more options unders the market,also found that the recall button doesnt work and neither does the info button and the yellow button that acts as a recall channel .

profster
11-09-2015, 08:23 PM
I reinstalled Kodi 15.1 (its not 15.2) and now I have full screen. I really don't know why I had the 1/4 size screen before. I figured out why the 1/4 screen. If you go to video settings in Mickyhop settings, you can change from 1080P to 720P. Then 15.1 shows correctly. Those that setup Fuse with defaults might be only set at 1280 x 720 thus full screen in Kodi 15.1

manny786
11-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Mine works fine with full screen.